Our smartphones are getting tougher. In fact, the iPhone 11 Pro was the most durable phone ever tested by Square Trade, a warranty company. The device was the first iPhone to ever survive their tumble test intact.
Then came the iPhone 12, which fairs even better than the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro models. The iPhone 12 screen can stand 91 more Newtons of pressure than the iPhone 11 and it’s also more resistant to scratching from keys, coins, and even a box cutter.
But older iPhone generations and even these more durable variants aren’t made to withstand serious accidents. Until we have phones that are completely damage-proof, it’s your responsibility to ensure your phone is protected with the best iPhone cases for protection.
Why You Need a Phone Cover
Almost 50% of smartphone owners have lost, damaged, or had their phones stolen. Of those that damaged their phone, 37% scratched their screen, 29% spilled liquid onto the phone, 29% dropped their phone down the stairs, and a further 20% dropped their device in the toilet.
If that’s not reason enough to protect your iPhone with a phone cover, here are some more.
- Protection.The main purpose of a phone cover is to protect your phone from accidental drops, scratches, dents, spills, and internal damage.
- Grip. If you’re prone to dropping your phone, maybe the phone itself is the problem.A silicone or TPU phone cover can add extra grip to the phone, making it more difficult for it to fall from your hands.
- Scratch resistance.Some phone covers have beveled edges that make it difficult for objects to touch and scratch the screen. Others have a panel that covers the screen, so it’s protected while in your pocket, purse, or backpack.
- Friction.Apple puts a lot of time into the design of their phones, but constant rubbing against other objects can cause fading and peeling of finishes. A cover will protect your phone from the friction that ruins the design of your phone.
- Trade in/resell value.If you try to make some money back on your phone either by trading it in or reselling it when you’re done with it, you should definitely have it protected. The less scratches, dents, and damage to the external casing of the phone, the better the price you’re likely to get for it.
Beyond keeping your phone safe from slips, falls, scratches, friction, and all kinds of damage, a phone cover adds style to your phone and a chance to personalize it to your taste. They might also have additional features that improve the functionality of the case, such as pockets for cards and cash.
Best iPhone Cases for Protection
Some covers provide better protection than others. For example, a rugged case and a silicone sleeve both provide protection, but a rugged case is more protective and bulkier while a silicone sleeve is sleek and provides minimal fall protection.
Deciding between what degree of protection you require versus the aesthetic you’re looking for is a major part of choosing the best iPhone cases for protection. But there are additional features you’ll want to consider, too.
Explore more: Phone Case Covers
We’ve gathered a list of the most popular phone covers for iPhones and discussed the details and features of each in more detail below.
Rugged cases are the toughest cases on the market. Their durable design includes air pockets, reinforced corners, and 100% waterproofing, all of which dramatically reduce any chance that your phone will be scratched, cracked, dented, or damaged.
To see just how strong a case is in terms of water and dust resistance, check the Ingress Protection (IP) rating. Some of these cases are so tough, they’ve been made to meet U.S. military standards. Those rugged cases will carry MIL-STD-810 certification.
Hard Shell Cases
These cases are typically made from hard plastic. They’re molded to shape specific phone versions, snap onto the back, and provide protection for the back of the phone and all four corners.
Hardshell cases are less bulky and heavy than rugged cases, but they still offer a good degree of protection. Thin, lightweight, and available in a wide variety of designs, colors, and finishes, these phone covers will protect most of your phone from bumps, drops, and scratches.
If a style is more important than protection, then you might opt for a gel case. These one-piece cases wrap around the back of the phone and cover all four corners.
Usually made from thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU), gel cases are malleable, elastic, and able to withstand penetration of oils and liquids as well as small bumps and scratches. These cases are slimmer and more lightweight than hardshell cases and available in matte and gloss finishes, a range of colors, and many designs.
The newest silicone cases are actually made from liquid silicone. This type of silicone replaced soft silicone because it provides more protection and also offers elasticity, so it won’t break or crack over time.
The benefits of silicone cases are that they’re light and flexible and capable of resisting fingerprints and dust. They protect the back, sides, and corners of the phone like all the other cases mentioned, though they offer minimal fall protection (about the equivalent of a gel case).
You might know these as wallet cases. Your phone sits inside of the case and the case folds over the entire phone, covering both the front and back. In terms of the latter feature, wallet cases are unique. They also typically have pockets for credit cards and id’s and can double as a kickstand for displaying your phone.
The degree of protection offered by these cases varies. While some are shell-like cases or have reinforced corners, others are flimsy polyurethane with no additional coverage.
A flip case is similar to a folio or wallet case except they flip open along the short edge of the phone. They offer protection for the front and back of the phone, but usually not much for the sides and corners. These cases come in a rage of materials, colors, and styles and they’re very aesthetically pleasing.
Read more: Guide To Choosing The Right Phone Case
Other Ways to Protect Your Phone
The best iPhone cases for protection may not be enough to keep your phone safe from damage. Here are some other items you may want to consider:
- Screen protection. Arguably, the piece of your phone that’s most susceptible to damage is the screen.This glass component can easily scratch, crack, or shatter, so it’s important to protect it with a screen protector.Screen protectors are 100% affordable, so there’s no excuse not to have one adhered to your phone at all times.
- Charging docks. While your phone is charging, it’s stationary (in theory). But if you’re charging your phone on your nightstand or in your car, there’s a plethora of ways it can fall and get damaged.To avoid that, use charging docks in your home, car, and in the office.
- Use pop sockets or finger loops. The little adhesive gadgets that you stick to the back of a cover make it easier to grip your phone, providing additional security when you’re taking selfies or texting.
You might even consider purchasing some form of insurance for your iPhone. The Apple Limited Warranty doesn’t protect your phone from accidental damage, but an Apple Care+ plan will. You may also purchase insurance through your wireless carrier.
Damaged iPhone? Bring It to Esource
The latest iPhone might be among the more durable smartphones on the market, but they’re not bulletproof. You still need to protect your phone with a phone cover. While rugged and hard shell cases offer the most protection, gel and silicone cases are slim and lightweight and folio cases wrap completely around the phone.
But even the best iPhone cases for protection aren’t 100% guaranteed to prevent damage. And when damage occurs, we can help you. Bring your iPhone into our repair shop and have it back the same day.